Working Disabled Program (WDP)
The Working Disabled Program (WDP) allows certain individuals to become eligible for Medi-Cal by paying low monthly premiums based on countable income.
To qualify, individuals must meet the following criteria:
1. Continuously meet the federal definition of disability, without regard to ability to
perform substantial gainful activity;
2. Have net family income of less than 250 percent of the federal poverty level; and
3. Eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary program
benefits if it weren't for their earnings.
DHCS now accepts Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payments
To make an EFT payment:
New EFT website (click here)
Enrolled User Option:
- If you are a Returning User, enter the Username and Password you have created during the registration process.
- If you have completed the Enrollment Form and had received the confirmation letter and email, please click the Register button under First Time User section to establish/activate your account.
One-Time Payment Option:
- Click the “Access to One-Time Pay Option” located on the top of the page.
- If you want the ability to see your payment history, please use the Enrolled User Option.
If you want confirmation that Medi-Cal has received your payment, you must use EFT.
To mail in your payment, send to:
Department of Health Care Services
Third Party Liability and Recovery Division
Working Disabled Program - Dept. 155 - MS 4718
P.O. Box 997421
Sacramento, CA 95899-7421
Healthy Families or Medi-Cal for Families payments go to Medi-Cal Premium Payments for the "Medi-Cal for Families" Program
WDP Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Q. How do I use the DHCS, Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payment option?
A. Go to the DHCS/Third Party Liability and Recovery Division website and under the Quick Reference Link is the EFT Information Guide. This guide provides step by step instructions on how to make an EFT payment. You will need your DHCS account number [same as Client Identification Number (CIN)], your bank account and routing numbers to make an EFT payment.
2. Q. Can I set up a recurring payment plan with the EFT payment option?
A. No. The EFT system does not have a recurring payment feature but you can schedule single payments in advance up to 365 days. After scheduling a payment, there is a “New Payment” button that gives you the option to schedule another payment.
3. Q. If I enroll in the EFT Enrolled User option and send you a copy of a voided check, will my payment be deducted automatically from my bank account each month?
A. No. By enrolling in the EFT Enrolled User option, payments are not automatically deducted from your bank account. Enrolled Users are responsible for logging in and scheduling payments to DHCS.
4. Q. Did you receive my check or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payment?
A. Please contact your financial institution to confirm whether your payment was made to the Department of Health Care Services, Working Disabled Program.
5. Q. Can I request payment envelopes?
A. We no longer provide postage paid business reply envelopes. The Department of Health Care Services is encouraging the use of Electronic Funds Transfer otherwise known as EFT as it is faster, cheaper, and greener.
To use EFT, go to: http://dhcs.ca.gov/epay
6. Q. How do I set up an automatic monthly payment through my bank account?
A. Please contact your financial institution to set up automatic monthly payments or bill pay using your bank account.
7. Q. What is my Client Index Number (CIN)?
A. Your CIN is the set of 8 numbers beginning with a “9” and letter (example: 90000000A) found in your Medi-Cal Benefits Identification Card (BIC). This is also your DHCS Account Number.
8. Q. Can I request an invoice?
A. The Department of Health Care Services does not provide invoices for the Working Disabled Program. Your monthly premium is listed on your Notice of Action from your County Eligibility Worker. It is your responsibility to make your monthly payment as soon as you become eligible for this program.
9. Q. What if I missed a payment(s)?
A. Please continue making your payments based on the Notice of Action you received from the county. You are currently not at risk of losing benefits. If payments are owed, a written notice will be sent to you.
10. Q. Am I eligible for the Working Disabled Program?
A. Please contact your County Social Services office for questions about program eligibility. The phone number can be found in the government pages of your local white pages.
11. Q. How would I request a refund?
A. Please contact the Medi-Cal Eligibility Division at (916) 552-9200 to request a refund. When requesting a refund you will need to provide satisfactory evidence of payment, e.g., copy of canceled check(s) or EFT reference number.
12. Q. Do you have any changes?
A. Please contact your county social services office to report any personal information changes such as any of the following examples:
New Phone Number
Change in Income/Salary
Information entered in the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Payment Website will not affect your records on the Medi-Cal Eligibility Data System. Please refer to the county offices and their contact information.
Back to Top
Back to TPLRD Home Page