California Advancing and Innovating Medi-Cal
CalAIM is a multi-year initiative by DHCS to improve the quality
of life and health outcomes of our population by implementing broad delivery
system, program and payment reform across the Medi-Cal program. The major
components of CalAIM build upon the successful outcomes of various pilots
(including but not limited to the Whole Person Care Pilots (WPC), Health Homes Program (HHP), and
the Coordinated Care Initiative) from the previous federal waivers and will
result in a better quality of life for Medi-Cal members as well as long-term
CalAIM has three primary goals:
- Identify and manage member risk and need through whole person care approaches and addressing Social Determinants of Health;
- Move Medi-Cal to a more consistent and seamless system by reducing complexity and increasing flexibility; and
- Improve quality outcomes, reduce health disparities, and drive delivery system transformation and innovation through value-based initiatives, modernization of systems, and payment reform.
DHCS formally released the CalAIM proposal on October 29, 2019, at the Stakeholder Advisory Committee (SAC)
and Behavioral Health Stakeholder Advisory Committee (BH-SAC)
meetings. Between November 2019 and February
2020, DHCS conducted extensive stakeholder engagement for both CalAIM and
the renewal of the federal authorities under which Medi-Cal operates (i.e. 1115
and 1915b waivers).
DHCS postponed the
planned implementation of the CalAIM initiative, originally scheduled for
January 1, 2021 so that both DHCS and all
of our partners could focus their limited resources on the needs arising from
the public health emergency due to COVID-19.
DHCS released a revised
CalAIM proposal on January 8, 2021.
The CalAIM proposal was updated on January 8, 2021. As implementation of various components of CalAIM begins, DHCS will provide updates here:
- Tuesday, June 29 from 2 – 3pm PDT
CalAIM Program Updates
Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) will hold a webinar on Tuesday, June 29, from 2 – 3 p.m. PDT to educate community providers about the fundamental aspects of Medi-Cal, Medi-Cal managed care, and California Advancing and Innovating Medi-Cal (CalAIM), including program updates for Enhanced Care Management (ECM) and In Lieu of Services (ILOS). Specifically, this effort is tailored to health and social service providers, counties, and other organizations currently participating in a Whole Person Care (WPC) pilot and Health Homes Program (HHP) as they potentially become an ECM or ILOS provider and move to contracting directly with managed care plans for the first time. The webinar is the first of a two-part series.
Information presented in the webinar will also be useful to non-HHP or WPC providers seeking additional information on ECM and ILOS. There will be time reserved at the end for Q&A. A recording of the webinar will also be available for viewing on the DHCS website. Please register for the webinar.
- Wednesday, June 30 from 3 – 4pm PDT
CalAIM ECM and ILOS Performance Incentive Payments Webinar
Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) will hold a webinar on Wednesday, June 30th from 3 – 4pm PDT on the CalAIM Enhanced Care Management (ECM) and In Lieu of Services (ILOS) Performance Incentive Payments. The purpose of Performance Incentive Payments are to drive managed care plan and provider capacity building and infrastructure development for ECM and ILOS statewide.
This webinar will provide an overview of the draft performance incentive payment design, including the incentive payment goals, payment methodology and frequency, and draft measures. This webinar is for managed care plans, providers, and others engaged in implementing the CalAIM ECM/ILOS programs. There will be time reserved at the end for Q&A. Register here in advance for this webinar.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: The California Department of Health Care Services has released finalized requirements documents and additional supporting resources for ECM and ILOS, which are available below.
Please note that DHCS will incorporate the provisions in the DHCS-MCP ECM and ILOS Contract Template below as an attachment to existing MCP Contracts. These provisions will also be included as part of the 2024 Request for Proposal (RFP)/Main Contract.
- Finalized DHCS-MCP ECM and ILOS Contract Template: Standardized statewide requirements regarding the administration and delivery of ECM and ILOS that will be appended to DHCS-MCP model contracts. Please note that DHCS will incorporate these provisions as an attachment to existing MCP Contracts. These provisions will also be included as part of the 2024 Request for Proposal (RFP)/Main Contract.
- Finalized ECM Key Design Implementation Decisions: Summarizes final ECM design and implementation decisions related to three key implementation areas: ECM and ILOS Implementation Timeline, ECM Populations of Focus definitions, and ECM Overlap with other Programs & Exclusions.
- ECM and ILOS Change Memo: Summarizes public comments and key policy changes DHCS made to ECM requirements documents based on stakeholder feedback.
- Model of Care Cover Note: Provides additional information regarding MOC requirements and submission and approval process.
- Updated ECM and ILOS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Provides additional guidance and clarifications regarding ECM and ILOS policies and operational procedures.
- Providing Access and Transforming Health (PATH) Supports FAQs: Provides general information about PATH, funding uses, and how PATH relates to CalAIM and the Governor's budget.
CalAIM Workgroups and Past Topic-Specific Stakeholder Meetings
2019, DHCS established topic-specific stakeholder workgroups to further explore
specific sections of the CalAIM proposal. While these five workgroups
concluded in February 2020, there are two workgroups currently underway: the Foster
Care Model of Care workgroup and the Managed Long-Term Services and Supports and Duals Integration
Foster Care Model of Care Workgroup: In consultation with key stakeholders, DHCS and the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) launched the
Foster Care Model of Care workgroup in June 2020. More information on the workgroup can be found
here. Please send any questions regarding the Foster Care Workgroup to
Services and Supports and Duals Integration Workgroup: In consultation with key stakeholders, and in coordination with
the Governor’s Master Plan for Aging, DHCS is planning to launch the Managed
Long-Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) and Duals Integration workgroup,
which will have an initial meeting on February 4, 2021. The goal of the workgroup is to collaborate with
stakeholders on the transition of Cal MediConnect (CMC) to a statewide MLTSS
and Dual Eligible Special Needs Plan (D-SNP) aligned enrollment structure. This policy is intended to help meet the
statewide goals of improving care integration and person-centered care, under
both CalAIM and the California Master Plan for Aging.
information on the workgroup can be found here. Please send any questions
regarding this workgroup to email@example.com.
The five workgroups listed below met from November 2019 - February 2020:
- Mandatory Managed Care Enrollment Initiative
- Transition of CMC and CCI to a statewide MLTSS and D-SNP structure
Future updates will be
presented for discussion during the SAC, BH-SAC, and other DHCS sponsored
stakeholder meetings, as well as through the DHCS stakeholder email service. Please subscribe
to DHCS' stakeholder email service to receive CalAIM updates and information about upcoming stakeholder meetings. For other comments, questions, or concerns, please contact CalAIM@dhcs.ca.gov