HCBS Statewide Transition Plan
The California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) submitted the revised Statewide Transition Plan (STP) to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) on November 23, 2016. The STP describes how the State will come into compliance with new Federal Home and Community-Based (HCB) Settings Final Rule that became effective March 17, 2014. These regulations are CMS 2249-F and CMS 2296-F, which affect 1115, 1915(c), 1915(i) and 1915(k) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waivers and State Plan programs. All 1115, 1915(c), 1915(i), and 1915(k) HCBS waivers and State Plan programs must be in full compliance with the new Federal rules by March 17, 2022.
DHCS has worked with partner agencies, including the Department of Developmental Services (DDS), the California Department of Aging (CDA), the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), California Department of Social Services (CDSS), Stakeholders, and other entities to develop the revised STP and attachments. DHCS is committed to working with partner agencies and stakeholders throughout the transition period.
On February 23, 2018, CMS granted initial approval of the STP. As the state continues to work toward final approval of the STP, DHCS will update the STP website with information regarding the STP and transition activities throughout the approval process and transition period. DHCS encourages stakeholders to continue to visit the website for additional information and to email
with any questions, or to request a hard copy of the STP. DHCS has posted the initial approval of the STP and the revised STP below.
Public Comment Periods
DHCS conducted public comment periods for stakeholder feedback on the STP and On-Site Assessment and Provider Self-Survey Tools:
- Statewide Conference Call, September 27, 2016
- Draft STP Comment Period, August 29, 2016, through September 29, 2016
- Final STP, On-Site Assessment, and Provider Self-Survey Tools Stakeholder Conference Call, August 20, 2015
- Draft STP, On-Site Assessment, and Provider Self-Survey Tools Stakeholder Conference Call, July 13, 2015
- Draft STP Public Comment Period, July 2, 2015, through July 31, 2015
- On-Site Assessment and Provider Self-Survey Tools Public Comment Period, May 22, 2015, through June 30, 2015
- Stakeholder Conference Call, December 2, 2014
- Draft STP Public Comment Period November 7, 2014, through December 8, 2014
- Stakeholder Conference Call, October 21, 2014
- Draft STP Public Comment Period September 19, 2014, through October 20, 2014
HCB Settings Rule:
For more information regarding the new Federal HCBS setting requirements, please visit:
Medicaid.gov Home and Community-Based Services website
If you have additional questions or comments regarding the Statewide Transition Plan, please email