Office of Legislative and Governmental Affairs
The Office of Legislative and Governmental Affairs (LGA) facilitates, coordinates, and advocates for the development and enactment of legislation in the interest of public health. As a key player in carrying out the Department of Health Care Services' mission to preserve and improve the health status of all Californians, LGA assists in the development and refinement of the State's health care laws. LGA performs its role through various functions.
- Develops strategies for introducing and promoting legislation to implement the Department's sound public health principles.
- Monitors the State's political pulse through interactions with Legislators and their staff, public and private agencies, the health professional community, consumers, constituency groups and educational partners who express interest in public health. LGA uses this information as it advises the California Health and Human Services Agency and Governor on public health policy.
- Articulates Department and Administration policies to the California Legislature, in coordination with the California Health and Human Services Agency and the Governor.
- Provides technical assistance to California State legislators and their staff on the Department's various programs through briefings, testimony at informational hearings, individual meetings, periodic newsletters, fact sheets, etc.
- Builds and fosters strong partnerships for health with California State legislators and their staff.
- Provides consultative and technical assistance to the Department's programs and the public.
- Ensures that the Department's bill analyses provide a sound basis for effective legislative advocacy.
- Ensures that the Department's bill analyses synthesize the policies, activities and resource needs of its numerous programs.
- Facilitates Department responses to constituent-related inquiries received from California State legislators and their staff.
Legislative Staff with constituent inquiries - Please call us at (916) 440-7500
LGA staff is trained to assist you with constituent case work and handling the exchange of personal identifying information related to your constituent's case.
Carol Gallegos, Deputy Director
*Tina Chiginsky, Assistant Deputy Director
Dawn Adler, Legislative Coordinator
**Carolyn Brookins, Legislative Coordinator
Melissa Rolland, Legislative Coordinator
Norma Solorio, Legislative Coordinator
Cynthia Bowman, Executive Assistant
Jennifer Clark, Office Technician (Typing)
Vacant, Associate Governmental Program Analyst
*Assistant Deputy Director (ADD) is assigned to budget trailer bill issues and special projects.
**Key Contact for non-constituent legislative inquiries, correspondence, briefing requests, and informational hearings.
CR Office of Civil Rights FR Fee-for-Service Rates
MQ Managed Care Quality & Monitoring RD Capitated Rates
MO Managed Care Operations RH Primary, Rural and Indian Health
AI Audits & Investigations CA Clinical Assurance & Admin Support
CM CA-MMIS (Fiscal Intermediary) HP Health Policy (Office of the Director)
MB Medi-Cal Benefits MD Medi-Cal Dental
MP Medical Policy (Medical Director) PE Provider Enrollment
SC Systems of Care SF Safety Net Financing
TR Third Party Liability & Recovery
CD Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Compliance IM Information Management (HIPAA/HIT)
MH Mental Health Services PB Pharmacy Benefits
PT SUD Prevention, Treatment & Recovery
AD Administration FP Office of Family Planning
IT Enterprise Innovation Technology LG Office of Legal Services
LT Long Term Care ME Medi-Cal Eligibility
OP Office of Medi-Cal Procurement PA Office of Public Affairs
1501 Capitol Avenue, Suite 6017
(916) 440-7500 FAX: (916) 440-7510
Mailing address: MS 0006, PO Box 997413, Sacramento, CA 95899-7413