Office of Legislative and Governmental Affairs
The Office of Legislative and Governmental Affairs facilitates, coordinates, and advocates for the development and enactment of legislation in the interest of public health. As a key player in carrying out the Department of Health Care Services' mission to preserve and improve the health status of all Californians, the office assists in the development and refinement of the State's health care laws. The office performs its role through various functions.
- Develops strategies for introducing and promoting legislation to implement the Department's sound public health principles.
- Monitors the State's political pulse through interactions with Legislators and their staff, public and private agencies, the health professional community, consumers, constituency groups and educational partners who express interest in public health. The Office uses this information as it advises the California Health and Human Services Agency and Governor on public health policy.
- Articulates Department and Administration policies to the California Legislature, in coordination with the California Health and Human Services Agency and the Governor.
- Provides technical assistance to California State legislators and their staff on the Department's various programs through briefings, testimony at informational hearings, individual meetings, periodic newsletters, fact sheets, etc.
- Builds and fosters strong partnerships for health with California State legislators and their staff.
- Provides consultative and technical assistance to the Department's programs and the public.
- Ensures that the Department's bill analyses provide a sound basis for effective legislative advocacy.
- Ensures that the Department's bill analyses synthesize the policies, activities and resource needs of its numerous programs.
- Facilitates Department responses to constituent related inquiries received from California State legislators and their staff.
Carol Gallegos, Deputy Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
*Tina Chiginsky, Assistant Deputy Director (email@example.com)
**Carolyn Brookins, Legislative Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Melissa Rolland, Legislative Coordinator (email@example.com)
Cynthia Robinson, Legislative Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Norma Solorio, Legislative Coordinator (email@example.com)
Cynthia Bowman, Executive Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tina Johnson, Associate Governmental Program Analyst (email@example.com)
Latoya Rivers, Office Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org)
*Assistant Deputy Director (ADD) is assigned to budget trailer bill issues and special projects.
**Key Contact for legislative inquiries, correspondence, briefing requests, and informational hearings.
Carolyn Brookins (CB)
AI Audits & Investigations CA Clinical Assurance & Admin Support
CM CA-MMIS (Fiscal Intermediary) HP Health Policy
MD Medi-Cal Dental MP Medical Policy (Medical Director)
PE Provider Enrollment SC Systems of Care
SF Safety Net Financing TR Third Party Recovery
Melissa Rolland (MR)
CD Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Compliance (Criminal Justice, Licensing, Complaints)
MH Mental Health Services
PT SUD Prevention, Treatment & Recovery
Cynthia Robinson (CR)
CR Office of Civil Rights FP Office of Family Planning (New)
IM Information Management (HIPAA/HIT) IT Information Technology
LT Long Term Care MB Medi-Cal Benefits
MC Medi-Cal Managed Care RD Capitated Rates Development
Norma Solorio (NS)
AD Administration FR Fee-for-Service Rates
LG Office of Legal Services ME Medi-Cal Eligibility (includes LIHP)
OP Office of Medi-Cal Procurement PA Office of Public Affairs
PB Pharmacy Benefits RH Primary & Rural Health
Back to Top
1501 Capitol Avenue, Suite 6017
(916) 440-7500 FAX: (916) 440-5119 or 440-7510
Mailing address: MS 0006, PO Box 997413, Sacramento, CA 95899-7413