​​​Counselor Certification Organizations

The Department of Health Care Services recognizes the following National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) accredited organizations to register and certify alcohol and other drug counselors in California.  To become a certified counselor or to obtain further information regarding educational requirements for becoming an alcohol and other drug counselor in California, please contact any of the certifying organizations listed below:

California Association for Alcohol and Drug Educators (CAADE)

Accredited Program – Certified Addiction Treatment Counselors / expires 7/31/23

4182 N. Viking Way Suite 213
Long Beach, CA 90808
Phone: (562) 304-5261

CAADE Homepage
Email: office@accbc.org 

California Association of DUI Treatment Programs (CADTP)

Accredited Program – Substance Use Disorder Certified Counselor / expires 6/30/23
1026 W. El Norte Pkwy. PMB 143
Escondido, CA 92026
Phone: (800) 464-3597
CADTP Homepage
Email: info@cadtp.org

California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP)

Accredited Program - Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor II / expires 5/31/23​
2400 Marconi Avenue
P.O. Box 214127
Sacramento, CA 95821
Phone: (916) 338-9460
CCAPP Homepage

To be considered for inclusion in the list of counselor certifying organizations, you must apply to and become accredited by the NCCA, at the credentialing excellence website. Once NCCA accreditation is in place, the organization must request recognition from the DHCS by submitting a written request and providing written documentation to DHCS that it complies with all of the requirements of CCR, Title 9, Section 13035(c).

Information Notic​es

Contact U​s

Certifying organizations

Please email your questions or concerns regarding certifying organizations to DHCSCOCOMPLAINT@dhcs.ca.gov

Substance Use Disorder Complaints

If you wish to file a complaint about a licensed, certified AOD drug service provider OR a certified counselor you can do so via mail, fax, or by using the online Complaint Form. You may contact the Complaints Section via email at SUDcomplaints@dhcs.ca.gov


Last modified date: 6/1/2022 11:01 AM