Medi-Cal Ground Emergency Medical Transportation Supplemental Reimbursement Program
GEMT Program Overview
California Welfare and Institutions (W&I) Code §14105.94, enacted October 2, 2011, authorized the Ground Emergency Medical Transportation Services (GEMT) supplemental reimbursement program. This voluntary Certified Public Expenditure (CPE) based program provides additional funding to eligible governmental entities that provide GEMT services to Medi-Cal beneficiaries. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) approved State Plan Amendment (SPA) 09-024 on September 4, 2013, authorizing the federal share of the supplemental reimbursement payments based on uncompensated costs for Medi-Cal fee-for-service transports, effective January 30, 2010.
GEMT Program Eligibility
For a publicly owned GEMT service provider to be eligible for the program, the following requirements must be met, as specified in Welfare and Institutions (W&I) Code §14105.94:
- Provided GEMT services to Medi-Cal beneficiaries (further defined in SPA 09-024),
- Be enrolled as a Medi-Cal provider for the period being claimed, and
- Are owned or operated by an eligible governmental entity, to include the state, a city, county, city and county, fire protection district, special district, community services district, health care district, or a federally recognized Indian tribe.
Eligible providers who choose to participate in the GEMT program must also,
- Enter into a Provider Participation Agreement (PPA) with the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS), and
- Agree to reimburse DHCS for their allocated share of the administrative costs associated with overseeing the program (The provider’s allocated administrative share will be collected by Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District on behalf of DHCS).
GEMT service providers eligible to participate in this program will receive supplemental reimbursement payments by completing a CMS approved cost report form annually. The supplemental reimbursement payment is based on claiming federal financial participation on CPEs that have already been incurred by the public provider. The supplemental reimbursement amount is determined by the methodology approved by CMS in SPA 09-024.
Subscribe To Our Email Service (LISTSERV)
Subscribe/Unsubscribe here if you wish to be added or removed from our e-mail service.
How To Contact Us
If your organization would like to participate in this program, or if you have any further questions, send inquiries to: GEMT@dhcs.ca.gov.