The Medi-Cal member(s) or representative on behalf of the member(s) is required, by law, to report an action or claim in writing to DHCS, pursuant to Welfare and Institutions (W&I) Code Section 14124.70 et seq. Notifications must be submitted via email to
ClassAction@dhcs.ca.gov and should include the following information:
(1) The Medi-Cal member’s name
(2) The Medi-Cal member’s date of birth
(3) The Medi-Cal member’s social security number (SSN)
(4) The date of the Medi-Cal member’s injury
(5) The Medi-Cal member’s Medi-Cal identification number,
(6) The contact information of the claims administrator, including their claim number
Please allow 30 days for DHCS to send a letter confirming receipt of the notification.
When a settlement has occurred, the member, or representative on behalf of the member is required to notify DHCS. DHCS will request and review the medical payment records to establish a “lien”, or an itemization of injury related services subject to collection. Upon each settlement, the member, or representative on behalf of the member, is required to notify DHCS, so an updated lien may be prepared pursuant to W&I Code Section 14124.76 and 14124.79. DHCS has the right to recover up to the date of settlement and/or full resolution of all actions associated with the injury, pursuant to W&I Code Section 14127.785.
To follow up on an established Class Action case or if a settlement has occurred, you may contact the unit at ClassAction@dhcs.ca.gov. Please include the DHCS case name and account number.
Paying a Lien
In order to apply a payment to the correct account, the DHCS account number must be included with each payment submission. For your convenience, the following payment options are available:
· One-Time Payment – For Medi-Cal members and entities with few claims
· Enrolled User Payment – For entities with numerous claims and multiple payments. This option allows users to schedule advance payments and track payment history.
o Select “Register” to register as an Enrolled User - Allow DHCS 5 business days to create and confirm your new Enrolled User account
2. Payment via check – Submit to:
Department of Health Care Services
Third Party Liability and Recovery Division
Class Action Unit - MS 4720
P.O. Box 997421
Sacramento, CA 95899-7421
Please reference the DHCS account number on the check and allow 15 to 30 business days for DHCS to receive and apply the payment.
If an insurance company issues a single check with both you and DHCS listed, please review instructions under item #19 in the Frequently Asked Questions.