Overpayments Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. How do I make a payment?

A1. For medical and dental overpayments, DHCS accepts Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or checks. EFT is DHCS's preferred method for receiving payments. To make an EFT payment, please visit the Third Party and Liability and Recovery page.

For additional information about using EFT please visit the Electronic Funds Transfer Information Guide

If paying by check, please mail payments to the address below:

Department of Health Care Services
Third Party Liability and Recovery Division
Overpayments Unit
P.O. Box 997421 MS 4720
Sacramento, CA 95899-7421

Be sure to include your payment reference number or National Provider Identifier (NPI), the fiscal year end (FYE), and Accounts Receivable (AR) number.

Q2. How is interest accrued and at what rate? 

A1. Interest currently accrues at a rate of 7% per annum beginning the 61st day from the date on the Statement of Account Status (SAS) letter. Interest is not negotiable.

Q3. What is your offset/withhold policy?  

If a provider fails to pay an overpayment in full or establish a repayment agreement for such liability within 60 days of the SAS letter date, DHCS will impose a 100% withhold of a provider's Medi-Cal claims payment until the debt is satisfied.

Q4. How do providers request a repayment agreement?  

To request a repayment agreement, providers should send an email to GCU@dhcs.ca.gov. The Overpayments Unit will respond with the next steps.

Q5. What if I miss a payment on my repayment agreement?

Please contact us ASAP to notify us of payment or to make payment arrangements. Providers who default on a repayment agreement are placed on a 100% withhold.

Q6. What forms of payment are accepted while on a repayment agreement?  

DHCS accepts EFT and check payments. We can also arrange to take fixed amounts of withholds from a providers' Medi-Cal paid claims.

Q7. What if I have a question about the balance on the Statement of Account Status letter? 

Please call the Telephone Service Center at 1-800-541-5555 or refer to the Medi-Cal Contacts page.

Q8. Appeals: Will the Department place a hold on our case as we pursue an appeal?  

No, your liability will remain active until it is paid in full. It is recommended that you pay your balance in full even during the appeals process. If your appeals is successful, any amounts due to you will be refunded.

Q9. Negative balance: Access to patient and Date of Service information for an overpayment?  

Please contact the Telephone Service Center at 1-800-541-5555 or refer to the Medi-Cal Contacts page for further information.

Last modified date: 2/8/2019 11:15 AM