Becoming a California Children's Services Provider

Thank you for your interest in becoming a California Children's Services (CCS) provider. Prior to applying as a CCS Program provider, your National Provider Identifier (NPI) number must be enrolled with Medi-Cal. Exception: Providers that work for a Federally Qualified Health Clinic (FQHC) or a Rural Health Clinic (RHC) are exempt from registering their NPI with Medi-Cal. They must use the facility's NPI where they are employed. Allied Health Professionals are not required to enroll their NPI with Medi-Cal in order to become a CCS Program provider. If an Allied Health Professional chooses to use their individual NPI, they must register it with Medi-Cal. Otherwise, they may use the facility's NPI where they are employed.

Please visit the Overview of CCS Medical Eligibility page to view list of CCS eligible medical conditions​. Once your provider application with Medi-Cal is approved, you may apply to become a CCS Program provider through the online paneling application.​

CCS Program Paneling Requirements​

All CCS Program providers are required to be CCS-paneled. Interested providers must submit their paneling application online. A list of CCS Program paneling requirements are available on the Provider Paneling Standards webpage​
Once a CCS Program paneling application is submitted, CCS Program providers are encouraged to track their application status on-line with a unique tracking number issued by the online application system. If additional information or documentation is needed to meet CCS Program paneling requirements for your provider type, you must fax the documents to (916) 440-5299 or send via email to: providerpaneling@dhcs.ca.gov.

CCS Program - Physician and Podiatrist Providers

CCS Paneling - Physician Requirements:
  1. In order to participate in the California Children’s Services (CCS) Program as a provider, you must have a National Provider Identifier (NPI) enrolled with Medi-Cal
  • Exception: CCS Program providers that currently work for a Federally Qualified Health Clinic (FQHC) or a Rural Health Clinic (RHC) are not required to enroll their NPI with Medi-Cal as a billing or rendering provider using their NPI since they use the facility's NPI where they are employed. However, if providers are ordering, referring or prescribing, they should enroll with Medi-Cal as an ordering referring or prescribing provider. Providers may enroll via the Provider Application for Validation and Enrollment portal.
    • a) Licensed as a physician and surgeon by the Medical Board of California or by the Osteopathic Medical Board of California; and
    • b) Board certified in your specialty or subspecialty. Physicians who are not board certified but who are eligible for the certifying examination may participate in the CCS program for no more than three years.  A verification letter of eligibility from the applicable member board is required.  If the physician does not have a board verification letter, he or she shall submit other evidence regarding eligibility to take the board examination such as a residency/fellowship completion certificate verifying satisfactory completion of training.
  1. Family Practice Physicians must meet the requirements of number 1 above and have documented experience treating children with CCS eligible medical conditions for at least five years, or have treated 100 or more such children, unless they meet the requirements of CHDP Provider Information Notice No. 10 07.  Please refer to Provider Paneling Standards.

Documented experience means providing the CCS Program with a list of cases indicated by a numeric value instead of a name, their CCS-eligible medical condition and the range of dates during which services were rendered.  Do not provide the names of the children or any other specific identifiers in your report.

Allied Health Care Professionals

In order to participate in the California Children’s Services (CCS) program as an Allied Health Care Professional, you must have a valid license from the California Board based on your specialty.
Allied providers will use the NPI of the facility they are employed with, if they do not have their NPI enrolled with Medi-Cal.
Please see Paneling Standards for program participation requirements by provider type on the Provider Paneling Standards webpage.
Please note: if your provider type is not listed, it is not a provider type that we panel.

Contact Us​

If you have any further questions, please contact the Integrated Systems of Care Division, Provider Enrollment Unit
By phone: (916) 552-9105. Select option 5, then option 2
Last modified date: 6/3/2022 11:40 AM